Saturday, April 23, 2011

My First... Romance Novel

There's a first time for everything and I can remember my first romance novel like it was yesterday. I'm going to let you in on a little secret... I hate to read. Ok, well I use to hate to read. Now I don't think you'll find me without a book, Kindle or iPhone within my reach. So what changed my mind? Graduating college and finally having some free time just for me. Of course I've read books before but nothing that interested me. That is until I found Lisa Kleypas in a box.

I had graduated in May '07 from a little college in PA called Elizabethtown College. During my studies I got to study abroad in England for 6 months. It was the greatest time in my life and where my love of England started. As a present my parents bought me a plane ticket to go back and two of my friends came with. Now, this was my big break from school. I had ideas of relaxing in the beer garden just reading a book so I had to find a book. Enter my Nanny (grandmother) and her box of books.

As I dug through this box that was on her porch I found this book called Scandal in Spring. I glanced at the book cover and opened to the begininng of the story. It was set in England and that's where I was going so it was PERFECT! I found another book too: Out of the Mist by JoAnn Ross. So I packed my books and headed off to England.

Fast foward a few days later and I'm sitting in the back garden at my friend's house. The sun is out (surprisingly) and I'm relaxing in my chair with Ms. Kleypas enjoying the story when all of a sudden Daisy has locked herself in Matthew's room with him and threw the key down her dress. I was intrigued, I was enthralled and I was so into it. Oh the sexual tensions between was captivating, I couldn't wait to see where this would lead. Then I remembered... this came from my Nan!

I ran inside the house and found my friend Georgie and made her read it. Then I told her I couldn't believe that this is what my Nan was reading! Then she looked at me and said "I can. Everyone needs some romance in their life." I went back outside and finished my book. When I got home from my trip I went to the store and bought the rest of The Wallflower Series. I've been hooked ever since and I've never looked back.

So there you have it! The book that started it all! Unfortunately I never really got to thank my Nan for getting me hooked on romance. She had cancer and passed away in December that year but if it wasn't for her and her box of books I wouldn't be here talking about them or reading them. I wouldn't have meet so many friends who share my passion for them.



In the words of a very wise friend "Everyone needs some romance in their lives" and I agree! So what was your first book that made you fall in love with reading?

4 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! Ms. Kleypas is on my TBR list. I promise.

    My first book that made me fall in love with reading was Cinderella. No, not that horrible Disney syrupy crap but the one by Charles Perrault. I was 7. But my absolute, can't be without a book moment was when I read Harry Potter. Then came romance books. It had a highlander. Don't remember who it was by, what the story was about or even the heroine. Just the highlander. lol. figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 16 I read Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood. omg! I so completely fell in love. I grabbed every book she wrote and would stay up all night to read them. She's still my favorite. No one writes a hero like she does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! It is sooo good. Actually, I like several of her other books as well.

    My first romance novel was Velvet Angel by Jude Deveraux when I was probably 14 or 15. I found it in a box of books in my mom's closet. I'd never tried to read any of her books before, but for whatever reason, I picked up this one. I didn't realize it was a series until several years later. I now own the series myself, both in mass market and on my Kindle.

    I'm a new follower. :)
    - Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassandra- I haven't read her Velvet series but I did read her Twin books (Twin of Fire and Twin of Ice) which we're really well done! And Welcome!

    Lori- I don't think I've ever read Julie Garwood... But I'm putting her on my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete